So many ideas, so much time—welcome to the experience of unschooling! It’s a wide world out there, ready for the creative and curious mind to traverse its reaches in search of powerful learning. If this sounds like you and your kids, then welcome aboard.
Like many unschooling and homeschooling parents, the gang here at Wabisabi Learning love the unscripted and unstructured educational encounters that happen at the moment. As such, we developed the Wabisabi Academy to feature no strict online course or tests. It’s the perfect option for moms and dads who are fans of unschooling. We work directly with families to create custom online learning pathways for every learner because everyone is different.
It’s those differences in learning preference and development that can make each unschooled child’s educational experiences unique and thoroughly effective. You’ll find this is indeed the experience of the parents whose unschooling resources we’re sharing with you below.
The idea of unschooling seems like a radical notion when you are used to traditional schooling both our kids and we have received over the years. However, the fact is that unschooling is a very natural and engaging way to acquire useful skills and knowledge for managing our everyday lives successfully. You may not realize it, but you’ve probably experienced many instances that define the essence of unschooling.
Whenever you watch a video tutorial to learn how to do something you’ve never done before, that’s unschooling. If you ever learned something from a friend, neighbour, or relative that proved invaluable to you, you were unschooled. And those times reading has gifted you with great insight into a new concept or helped you craft an informed opinion on something? That’s also prevalent in unschooling.
Unschooling is a natural and engaging way to acquire useful skills and knowledge for managing our everyday lives successfully.
These are just a few examples of how unschooling can happen, and there are countless more. Rest assured you will never run out of instructional approaches as an unschooling parent. It’s a versatile and multi-faceted way to provide kids with enough learning pathways to keep them inspired to learn now and throughout their lives.
If you’re new to unschooling and want to know more, you’ll find these lovingly-crafted resources indispensable. They contain wisdom, activities, stories, and cautionary tales to both inform and challenge you. Please make sure you do as much research as possible before you decide if unschooling is right for your kids and you. Hopefully, these resources will help.
- Wabisabi Learning: Wabisabi Academy
- Weed ‘Em and Reap: The Master List of Unschooling Resources
- Life With Joanne: Unschooling Activities
- The Home School Mom: Unschooling
- A Day in the Life of Unschoolers: What Does Unschooling Look Like?
- Unschooling Mom2Mom
- Unschooling Curriculum Samples and Checklist
- Unschooling Edventure Blog
- Unschoolers.org: Unschooling Curriculum
- Homeschool Superfreak: Ultimate Guide to Everything Unschool
- Learning through Unschooling: A Day in the Life
- Life Learning Magazine: Five Daily Practices of Unstressed Unschoolers
- Happiness is Here: Unschooling Resources
- Stories of an Unschooling Family
- The Pioneer Woman: Online Educational Resource
- MindShift: Guide to the Best Homeschooling and Unschooling Resources
- John Holt GWS: Homeschooling and Unschooling Resources
- iUnschool: 15 Awesome Unschooling Blogs You Should Follow
- PBS.org: Unschooling 101
- I’m Unschooled. Yes, I Can Write.